Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sugar cookies for kids to decorate


Smile!
  Sometimes I just want something easy to make.  And sometimes it works out that I have extra dough from a project I am making.  And that makes it a win-win situation. 

  My son had hockey pictures this past weekend.  The same weekend we made Reese cookies thingies, and Printed sugar cookies and gingerbread men cake pops. ( up next!)  So I wanted something special, but I also wanted quick.

  So here it is, something you can do quickly and let the kids decorate while you watch TV and eat a few cookies.  Not like I did that, nope, I just ate one cookie.

  So these are like any other simple sugar cookie. Just pick a shape, cut and bake.  Then when cooled, ice them with glaze icing.  I make my icing whiter with Americolor soft gel paste in white.  It really makes a difference for when you are drawing, the colours will pop more.  I also make sure to let them dry over night, so when you colour you are less likely to push the pen through the icing.


Outline.


Flood.
  Now just to let you know that I wanted to be doubly sure that they were dry, so I aimed our fan at them over night and they were perfect.  I then let my kid go to work, with Americolor pens and told him, again, not to press too hard.  He made a bunch of different things, hockey men, smiling suns, and some things I could not figure out.  We did this last year for his yearly check up with his surgeon.  The staff each got their own cookie, with a one of a kind design.

Working hard.  He was mad, the red pen ran out, oh the horror!


This was his first one, a summer scene, I did not have the heart to tell him it is now winter.
   To make them a little more colourful I give them a boarder.  I used to try and pour the sprinkles over the wet boarder but I found that the ink would catch some of the sprinkles.  So I had to pipe my boarder then pick  up the cookie and sort of roll the edges in the sprinkles.  It won't be perfect, but you can always say that your kid did the sprinkles.  And then they will think your kid is gifted.  See, that is how you parent!

You don't have to use coloured icing as it won't show through the sprinkles, this is just the colour  I had left over.  On the other hand if you want colour but don't want to buy lots of  different sprinkles, just use a coloured icing and white sanding sugar.  The colour will show through.


See?  Sprinkles make everything better!

Just a few of his works of art, those ones on the top left are hockey guys, the rest, well mostly people and squiggles.


These were so small I was able to just use cake pop bags.
  I just let them dry a few hours then popped them into cake pop bags, tied them with curling ribbon and they were good to go.  Each kid got their own, and my son was very proud.

  I am so sorry I did not get the picture of the one he made for the Cake Boss, he drew a cake and wrote his name.  So cute.

 These would be great for a craft at a party or as a gift, with some edible pens.  You can get Wilton brand at Michael's, and with a coupon not too costly.  I like Americolor better, only because they have a finer tip.

16 comments:

Elizabeth said...

YUM!

Alexis @ There She Goes said...

wow, i would not have the talent to do all those designs!

Unknown said...

LOL he sure was proud of them:)

Judi @ Frugal Frolic said...

These are great, your son did a fantastic job! I'm sure they were appreciated :)

laurie said...

They look awesome!

Stephanie from GardenTherapy.ca said...

Those are great! I'll have to try them with my nephews.

Hannah said...

This is such a great activity for kids- And even grown up "kids," too. ;)

Willa@ArmstrongFamilyFare said...

What a cute idea! Kids would have so much fun decorating their cookies! Love it!

Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by my blog!
Willa

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

What a sweet idea! He did such a great job!!

Unknown said...

thanks, he thinks he's famous now LOL.

Trisha said...

What an amazing job u'r son did with these!

Sue, thanks for stopping by earlier, just wanted to let you know that I use whole milk for the recipe! Wish u and u'r loved ones a wonderful holiday season!!!

Just Jaime said...

VERY cool! Looks awesome!

Connie Mercer said...

these look so good and you have such a sweet helper!!!

Suzanne B. Webb said...

So cute, I love that your son did the decorating :)

Lisa Dorsey said...

What awesome cookies!!!

Adrianne Surian said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE this idea. And thanks for clarifying the outline-flood thing. I would have just ended up with a mess in my kitchen, LOL!