Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Banana Chocolate Chip Whoopie Pies - Eating the Alphabet


This is the best picture I could get, Porky was having a play date and I thought I was going to kill one of them.  So no time for pictures, just eating them!
 So this is going to be a great post.  I am really excited to be part of this blog hop.  I was first introduced to blog hops through the 12 weeks of Christmas cookies.  And it was perfect.  I learned so much and I really enjoyed that there were so many others out there reading and sharing with me.  That awesome blog hop was put together by Brenda over at Meal Planning Magic.   And I loved every minute of it, so when Brenda sent out a note to all of us letting us know about her new years blog hop suggestion I was so excited.  Now mind you I think she meant for most people to put together cooking posts.  I said well I want to play, but it will be sweet, because if there is one thing I love, it's sugar.  


  So here it is, the first instalment of eating the alphabet.  This months letters were A and B.  And I was all set to make something with apples.  Then I thought about it and figured I would have to peal them probably and that is a lot of work.  Then I thought well bananas, so that is what I went with, if you couldn't tell by the title.


  Now baking with bananas means you need really ripe bananas and I didn't have any, so I had to plan ahead.  I got hubby to buy me some bananas, but I had no idea what I really wanted to make, so we may have bought a few extra. They are now safe and sound in the freezer all ripe and ready for when I want to make these again, because you know I totally want to.

So to start off, I was thinking of making banana bread or muffins, but those are not usually cute.  So I thought about cookie, and that just didn't sound right either.  So I found my trusty baking book and picked out a whoopie pie to make.  I changed it up just a tiny bit, but you know it's still going to be good.
See this looks gross, but it smells really good.  Bananas and lemon juice
So here you go, super yummy baking with fruit in it.  Which I may have pointed out before as being wrong, but for this, I will admit I might change my mind.

Banana Chocolate Chip Whoopie Pies
Adapted from Whoopies, by Susanna Tee
set oven to 350

-2 ripe bananas
-1 TSP lemon juice
-1/2 cup butter
-1 cup light brown sugar
-1 TSP vanilla 
-1 extra large egg
-2 cups all purpose flour
-1/2 TSP ground cinnamon
-1 TSP baking powder
-1 TSP baking soda
-pinch of salt
-3 TBPS sour cream
-1 cup mini chocolate chips

Start by mashing your banana with the lemon juice.  I used a potato masher and then a fork.  Set it aside.

Blend butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
I was a little worried because the mix was sort of watery, but it was fine.
Add the egg.

Combine and sift all the dry ingredients, and add them to the butter mixture.  Then add the banana and mix.  
I only got 6 on a tray, and a total of 20 full pies.
Lastly add your chocolate chips and stir until they are distributed.
I would be lying if I said I didn't eat a few of these hot out of the oven,  so good!
Take a small cookie scoop and place the mixture by the scoop full on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Bake for about 8 minutes, until they are done, but still soft.

Once baked, let them fully cool and make your filling.

Filling

-1 1/2 cups butter
-1 TBSP vanilla
-3 TBSP cocoa powder
-icing sugar
-milk

So this is just like my regular butter cream, just no shortening.  So cream the butter, add your vanilla and cocoa and then alternate adding sugar and milk until you get as much as you want, and as thick as you want.  I made mine with 2 KG of sugar, so I had lots of extra to make other stuff with.
I made way too much, I have like 5 cups left, I would not be opposed to eating it with a spoon for diner.

Place your pies half wrong side up and the other just regular and using a piping bag with a large star tip, pipe as much or as little as you would like.  I like a lot, obviously, so I did more.  But feel free to do less, I won't think any less of you, I would just have to eat more of yours.  
I set them all up, only because I am OCD with some things.

I put a lot of filling, the chocolate and banana was just amazing.
That's it, then just store them in a container in the fridge until ready to eat.  Mine didn't last too long, and one girl at work told me she really liked my "whoopie cushions"  which was hysterical, because she really thought that was the name.  So no matter what you call it, they are good.  And as an added bonus they are healthy.  I think the ratio of banana to sugar and butter is fair, and if not, at least you get a bit of fruit in your diet.
Another view because I think they look so yummy.



Oh and the one on the left is the left over monster one I made.  And I ate it and had to hear my tummy gurgle for hours afterwards.  So only small ones for me from now on.




15 comments:

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

I've had pumpkin whoopie pies and I've had chocolate, but never banana chocolate chip. Yum!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Yum! These look good, I love bananas in dessert. More than eating a regular one!

Brandy J. said...

I just found your blog and am your newest follower. These recipes looks A-MAZ-ING. Thanks for leaving me both inspired and very hungry. :)

Connie Mercer said...

they look so good!!!

Penny said...

Whoopie pies! YUM one of my favorite things! I just made some for my grand kids the other day, the first ones I have ever made myself, but they didn't look as good as yours do! Love Penny Scrap-aholic@blogspot.com

momto8 said...

oh my...I know i would love these....thank you very much for this recipe.
In preschool we had to bring in alphabet snacks...I was smart b/c I knew about this so would always get the good letters!!

Steve @ the black peppercorn said...

look great! I have been wanting to make woopie pies for the longest time. You are inspiring me here! :)

Kristen said...

Those look great! They are a perfect family friendly way to get everyone to eat some fruit!

Unknown said...

These could result in some serious weight gain! Yum!

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

Like you, I would totally stuff my pies with that filling! It looks wonderful!

Charles said...

Haha, awesome - I've never heard of "whoopie pies" - what a cool name, and an even more cool "pie" - they look awesome, and delicious. I could totally eat 5 of those :D

Amanda said...

Ok. Your Banana Chocolate Chip Whoopie Pies were a waaaaay better choice than my Avocado Chocolate Mousse. I have a great pumpkin whoopie pie recipe, but I never thought of banana. One more recipe to add to the "to make" list.

Marina said...

This is my first time stopping by your blog. These look delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Lynn Gardner said...

Great recipe! My dad loves bananas and whoopie pies so these will be perfect for his birthday in April.

Unknown said...

Delicious!!! Oh my goodness...looks so GREAT! Thanks for sharing at Overflowing with Creativity! I can't wait to see what you link up at my party tomorrow! I LOVE following you...you're so inspiring!

XO, Aimee