Tuesday, October 2, 2012

If We Didn't Have Bad Luck.....

We would have no luck at all I think.  These past two days have been bad.


This picture really has nothing to do with this post, but that is my Pork Chop and he is cute, so it makes me happy to share.


  I think writing about it will help, so sorry it will be a downer, a little good though, so you know, not all bad.  Feel free to skip over it all, really it just helps me to ramble on about it.

  It all started off great, I was so excited for this weekend.  The Red path Show was on this weekend.  And I had taken the day off on Sunday to go with Hubby and my Mom.  It was something I had been looking forward to since Hubby pointed it out on the sugar bag about a month ago.  Hubby is a good egg, he saw that and was all "we are so going!"  I love that man.

  Anyway, we had it all set, my sister was going to take Pork Chop out to the movies and we were going to go and eat all we could and buy lots of fun stuff.  I was really good because I had only brought so much, so I didn't go nuts, I got a huge bottle of vanilla bean paste for a steal and some cookies and really that was it.  The prices of most things were not great, and I either had them or didn't need them.  Can I just say that I never thought I would say those words, but I really didn't feel like I needed anything else.

  But my mom?  She did, she felt that I needed an early Christmas gift.  I have been wanting a larger kitchen aid for a while, like a long while.  I have the 4.5 quart one, the one you may have seen before.  And I loved it, just not when I needed to do larger baking, which is a lot of the time.  This would make it so I had to do multiple batches, when I could do one batch in a larger one.  Anyway, there was a sale on the one I wanted, and she was all "let's get it, Merry Christmas!"  And I felt guilty, because I wanted it so badly, but it was a lot.  She said, no it was my gift, and that I should get it if I wanted.  So we did, and I cannot believe it.  I will not have anything to open on the holidays, but seriously?  I am a very very lucky girl.


I got this one, but in a slightly different colour, I think I would have loved red, but really this works way better in my house anyway.  I just need to find some super hero decals, like I promised Hubby I would.


  So after our wonderful shopping and pigging out we went home.  Mom headed home and we settled in to have a few hours of time to just hang out and watch TV.  My sister still had Pork Chop and I was determined to watch some Netflix and eat Pizza.  So Hubby ordered us some and I got into some ugly sweat pants and got laundry going.  Hubby headed out and that was when I sat down to look through all the stuff I got at the show.

  That is when our lives changed.

  I got a phone call, I could not understand the person on the other line.  They kept saying Hubby's name.  I kept telling them he was not home, the person sounded like they were on a phone far away or something.  Then I hear Hubby say "just tell her I am okay."  And then it hit me, something had happened.  I am not 100% sure what was said, something about come to the intersection. The one behind my house.

  I hung up, and ran out the front door, in my ugly sweat pants, socks only, and the house phone still in my hand.  I ran to the road and then down the block.  I didn't see anything really, the street sort of curves.  Then I figured how bad can it be?  Then I saw him, he was sitting on someones front lawn, surrounded by people. I ran as fast as I could, then I saw the other person.  A motorcyclist, laying face down in the road.  I could not get to Hubby fast enough as soon as I did, I fell down and I went into a bit of shock.  "what happened?" was all I could get out and I was hugging him.  He looked like he was about to pass out, he looked like he was in shock and he couldn't really tell me.  He told me to let him go, he could not breath.  People were crowding him and I had to ask them to get back.

  I won't go into all the details, but there was obviously an accident and at that point we did not know if the other person was dead or alive.  There were people all around him.  It seemed like forever but the ambulances, the police the fire department showed up.  The first to be looked at was the person on the road, he was breathing, but some stander by had taken off his helmet.  Possibly injuring him more, so we were told.  Hubby could hardly breath, I dialed my mom on his cell, and it went to voice mail.  I was so shaken, she called right back.  She had just walked in the door at home.   I screamed "Hubby hit a motorcyclist, please come!"  And then Hubby said "I didn't hit him, he hit me"  He was just devastated.  There were people everywhere, they kept coming up to us and asking Hubby if he was the driver, was he okay.  But they were just being nosy, they were not police they just wanted to know what was going on.  I was calm but as strongly as I could I would tell each and every one of them "he is fine, please give us some space"  We had the few people near by that were witnesses and that was enough help.

 I cannot remember it all perfectly, but the police talked to Hubby, let us know the other man was breathing and then they asked how it happened and such.  A kind neighbour brought out his dining room chair for Hubby, he will be getting some thank you treats as soon as I can.  The police asked if he wanted to go to the hospital and he was saying no.  Typical Hubby, not wanting to admit he could be hurt.  He went, because I would not allow him not to.  He was in shock, and he said his back hurt, I mean the air bag got him so yeah, it was a big hit.

  Once Hubby left, I had to wait to find out what was going on.  Basically they had to make sure the other person would survive and then we could deal with the cars.  My mom showed up as I got back in the house to change.  I frantically called a work friend, not sure what I said, but she knew I would be off the next day.  Mom and I walked back to see if we could get stuff out of our car, they still were not sure but I wanted to get to the hospital.  So we went back to my house, where my sister had returned with Pork Chop.  I could not tell him, I still did not know if everything was going to be okay.  So I told him Hubby was at the doctors as he was not feeling well, so I had to go.  We went and got Hubby, who was just released.  No major injury, his back was very badly tweaked, but he was going to be okay.  The other news?  The motorcyclist would at worst have a few broken bones.  It was something I would never have believed after seeing the accident.

  After we got home I talked to Pork Chop, I asked if he had seen the police.  He said he had, that they were all over.  I told him that it was an accident and that Hubby was in it, but he was fine, Hubby was home at this time, so Pork Chop was not too upset.  He was a little excised actually to think we may get a new car.  What a boy.

  At this time we are waiting for insurance to tell us where we go from here.  We had insurance, and I could never imagine not having it. So for now we sit, we have to hear if our car can be fixed, or if it is a write off.  I am scared, this is going to be a huge issue for us.  And it will be an on going thing for a while.  I know some things we had planned are not going to be able to happen, and who cares.

  I am so thankful that I have Hubby, even though he is really sore.  At least I am just dealing with a car, not a funeral. Our 10 year anniversary is Friday, and I could not imagine having him not be here.  I just don't know.  We are second guessing everything.  What if we had got delivery?  What if we had waited a few minutes?  What if we had gone out to eat?  Hubby is beating himself up, and I can understand that, but it was an accident, and no matter what, he is here.  And the other person will be okay, not even a broken bone so we have been told.

  Yesterday we had to run around and get a rental and sign papers, see the police and the doctor again. It has been crazy.  Hubby is sore, but won't admit it, you can just see it.  I just know we are all here still and that is all that matters.  So I hope to get back to some form of normal soon.  Pork Chop started hockey last week, so we are going to make treats for the team Friday night, and also some for the very kind neighbour who we don't even know.  Who with just the kindness of offering a chair made a big difference.

  And so as to leave it on a positive note. Our rental car is a Ford Edge.  I now feel like my car is nothing.  Seriously this car has everything, and a moon roof. It took me over 5 minutes to just get ready to drive it the first time.  And don't even ask me about how to start the darn thing properly.  Pork Chop is in love and hopes we can get one.  It won't happen.  Our van was in really good shape, but it was 6 years old with a lot of distance on it.  So if it is a write off, well I don't want to think about it.  If you know anyone at Ford who wants to give me a cool SUV, let me know, I mean come on, I can at least blog about it.  And if not, I told Hubby we could get me one of those tiny little electric cars, he was not amused.  Oh well, I still have my Hubby, and no one has to plan any funerals.

 Also Pork Chop told all his friends, he is so like his Mom tells everyone everything.  Hubby, he won't tell anyone.  That is why we work so well, and that is why I keep him around.

  Anyway, life could be so much worse.  Thanks for reading.

6 comments:

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

I am so glad to hear your hubby, and the other driver, are OK. I would have been frantic too. I hope things settle down quickly and your hubby is more comfortable soon!

Cloves said...

Wow. I'm so glad everyone is okay. I hope your hubby is feeling better soon.

Paula said...

Was relieved to read that your husband and the motorcyclist were not seriously injured. Hope that everyone heals quickly and that you are able to get a new or newer car really soon.

P.S. Happy (early) 10th Anniversary!

Connie Mercer said...

OMG Sue, I'm so glad it all worked out and hubby and other guy are OK. You have my old car, the Ford Edge. We loved just traded it in on another SUV. We only get used cars and keep them a few years and trade it in:):) I hope you are able to get one:):) Again glad you guys are OK!!!! Blessings!!!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I am SO glad he's okay. How scary! I'm thinking about you all right now. ((Hugs))

Katrina said...

Wow, that is quite the night! Glad everything is okay!