Monday, January 9, 2012

Chocolate Covered Baby Bananas -My Disney Treat Copy Cat

All fruit should be this cute!

  Have you ever had a treat and wanted to eat it until you were sick?  No?  So really I am the only one?  Okay well I still think I'm normal, at least compared to some.

  So back to something so good you want to eat it until you are sick.  When I was in Disney last year I had a really hard time not eating every darn thing in site.  Huge Mickey Mouse cupcake?  Yep I want it.  Chocolate covered marshmallows?  I'm there.  Sugar free candy of all types?  I ate enough to make myself sick.  I have eating issues, I can admit it.  I am learning, but sometimes I just take one bite too many and really pay for it.

  Okay sorry that was so long and rambly, and what I really wanted to say was that I found something that I really loved, and other than my 12 year old boy mind, I liked eating.  At the ice cream carts I found these frozen bananas that were dipped in chocolate and covered in peanuts.  So like I said amazing, and I giggled and tried to hide while I was eating it.  My sister got a good picture of me eating one, not one of my finest moments.

  So I really liked them but they were still so big I could not eat it all, it was just too much.  I wanted to make them a much smaller treat to have at home.  My first attempt was okay.  I took a large banana and cut it into rounds, froze it and then dipped them in chocolate and sprinkled nuts on top.  It was not bad, but not the same.

   I wanted to get the fun and silliness of a banana on a stick.  And I know that sounds like a dirty joke or something, but you know what I mean.  I hope.

  So I asked Hubby to pick up some baby bananas at the store.  The last time I went they sold them in packs of like six.  He came home with about 20.  20 baby bananas, what the heck am I going to do with 20 baby bananas.  I will be the only one eating these, so lets just say I have been eating plain banana's for a few days

Poor bananas didn't even see it coming!

  So to start I pealed them and put a wooden skewer in almost all the way through. I then put them on a plate and put them in the freezer.

  I left them for a few hours, until they were solid, so they do not fall off the skewer.  Then I melted some chocolate candy melts and ground up some peanuts.  I have to make these things when Hubby is out, so I was careful to get rid of the crumbs.

I just buy the cheap peanuts, and keep them in the freezer until I need them.  My little food processor works great for this.
All set up and ready to go.
I like to think I am funny, but I just don't have anything that funny to say about this.  It's just wrong if you ask me.
  Anyway I worked one at a time, I dipped the bananas and then let the extra drip off a bit, then rolled it in the peanuts.  I let them dry then put them in my Styrofoam bock.  I could have just set them on paper, but you know, I had to make it difficult.
Since they are frozen the chocolate sets really quickly, so roll them fast.  And you could even leave them on the plate to dry.

Tee Hee!
  Once they were dipped I just put a plastic sandwich baggy on and tied them up with ribbon.
I am 12 years old inside, so this just cracks me up!
  Once they were dipped I just put a plastic sandwich baggy on and tied them up with ribbon.

  Then I put them in a container and back into the freezer.  We have so much stuff in our freezer that I had to put them into a container or they would have gotten crushed.

No one wants a crushed banana.
  I know they look weird, and yes I admit my 12 year old boy brain kept thinking of things to say.  So that explains why there is no staged picture, I just had to put them away.  Sigh I hope I mature one of these days, or at least my son gets old enough for me to be able to share my immaturity with.  Either way works for me.

  And I want to point out how healthy these are, what with the fruit and nuts, you are practically burning calories eating them!






I'm also linking up here!









It's Overflowing

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, these are so cute. I've never even seen a baby banana before!

Lisa

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

Yum! I've had a chocolate-covered banana before, but it didn't have the chopped peanuts. Great idea!

Sylvia Blum said...

ohhh...mmmm... yumm.. can I have one, please?
They look so mouth-watering!!! TFS!
Sylvia

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Too funny...these sorts of things happen when I send my hubby to the market, too! I'm glad you have a freezerful of these delightful treats for when the urge hits!

Connie Mercer said...

they look yummo!!!!

Murphy's Law said...

Too funny, dh eats his way across as well. I hate eating til i hurt its totally uncomfy... i haven't had choc covered bananas since my kidlets were small - yum!

Pamela said...

Wow...I've never seen small bananas like this before...they really are cute! :) Looks yummy!

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense said...

Love this idea!
Perfect healthy dessert =)

Ange @ EveryDay Desserts said...

Woah, these look delicious!!

Sandie said...

LOVE these! We're real Disney addicts, so I can't wait to try this. Thanks!

Connie the Cookie Monster said...

i have eating issues too! i just don't know when to stop! oh well, at least i enjoy the taste of the food before it makes me feel guilty.

sadly ive never been to disneyland or world. but ive heard great things about their choco bananas!

Soni said...

So cute and delicious.Nice way to enjoy treats whenever the urge hits!

beti said...

I forgot how good they were, they remind me of my childhood

Meal Plan Mom (Brenda) said...

These look yummy AND delicious! When we were in Disney I always went for the mouse eared chocolate covered ice cream. Who could resist? I should have gone for these but now I know how to make them at home!

Jeanette said...

Trader Joe's carries frozen banana pops like these dipped in dark chocolate and nuts - I'm going to have my kids make these.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table said...

My 12 year old boy mind is laughing uncontrollably. These are awesome with the baby nanners and I love that you wrapped them. ;)

Have you ever dipped them in a nutella sauce with crushed hazelnuts? It's divine.

Barbara Bakes said...

The perfect way to use up extra baby bananas!

Unknown said...

I love baby bananas - always wanted to try doing the chocolate covered thing, but was too scared to. Now i'm going to try it!

Adrianne Surian said...

LOL, you're practically burning calories eating them.

It's certainly a lot healthier than an ice-cream treat, and they look great! Yum!

Unknown said...

Thanks all, and Laura, you and me, we can be 12 year olds together. And I know wrapping them just put it over the egde;p

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

LOL, I must be 12 too. :) Chocolate and banana together are awesome! Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday today!

Winnie said...

Wohhh - how beautiful and cute
Very creative - I love it

Tina @ Sugar Bean Bakers said...

It's ok, I'm 12 years old too.

These look yummy, but you can hold your nuts!

See... 12 years old.

Thanks for sharing at Sugar Bean Bakers!

Tina :)

Unknown said...

Looks so delicious!! Thanks so much for linking up! Just wanted to make sure that you signed up for my $50 stencil giveaway...

XO, Aimee