Thursday, December 13, 2012

Kiss Cookies

When I brought these to work I was so excited to tell me friends that they could finally "kiss my cookies!"  And they gave me a sigh and head shake, I thought it was hilarious.  I mean the least they could do is laugh at my lame jokes, I made them cookies for crying out loud!
  I love nothing more than when I make something new and it turns out right.  And I hate nothing more than the fact that that does not happen very often.  It's just my life as usual. So when I found the bag of candy cane Hershey kisses I had in my pantry I was all "I am going to make kiss cookies!!!!" and then I went on google and pintrest and what have you, and all the recipes I saw were for cookies rolled in sugar or whatever.  And that is just one extra step I didn't want to deal with.  So I kept looking.

  I cannot tell you how long it took me, but I finally realized if anyone was going to have a good recipe for this, Hershey's would.  I mean seriously how I got this far in life I don't even know, but I have, so you have to deal with me.

  So I googled the Hershey website and they had recipes worked around their products.  So for me I looked under the kisses section and BAM; there it was.  I was like "I am so smart!"  And then I got over my awesomeness and made some cookies. Here is the link to the page I ended up on.  


Pork Chop was all "I am going to help!" And then he tried to roll one cookie and the dough was not working for him and he gave up.  Maybe I should force him to stick to it and stuff, he may fail later in life if I don't.  But then there are more cookies for me this way, so he may have to fail for the greater good.

So to start I wanted lots of these, some for my work, some for the elevator guys at my other work, and some to send to work with Hubby.  So I got three kinds of kisses.  I had my candy cane ones and then I got the mint ones and the cookies and cream.  It was simple, the day before I sat down and unwrapped those buggers, it was a huge pain because there were little bits of tin foil all over.  I put them in the fridge to get cold.  Now you would think I could have asked Pork Chop to help, even let him have a few, but no my child wanted nothing to do with it.  I need a new kid, one that loves chocolate and baking. Or maybe not, I don't like to share.

I may have over baked them, they looked kind of cute like this though.

I altered the recipe just a tiny bit.  The original was actually for one batch, half being chocolate the other vanilla.  So I just did two batches, but made them each full ones.  It was just easier that way.


Kiss cookies, vanilla
based on recipe from Hershey's website

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 TSP vanilla bean paste
2 cups plus 4 TBSPs all purpose flour
1 TSP baking powder
1/4 TSP salt


Now at this point Hubby was all over taking pictures with his new Ipad.  And yes I said new Ipad, my parents let him get his Christmas gift early.  I think they may favor him if you ask me.  Anyway he took pictures, then I didn't use them.  Just to show him what was what.  And I am not even sure what that means, but I stuck it to him, so that is all that counts.

Preheat oven to 350 and cream the butter and shortening together with the sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla.   Sift dry ingredients together and add to butter and mix until combined.  Roll dough into balls and place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  I used a cookie scoop and baked them for about 8 minutes or so, until they were getting golden.  Then remove from oven, let sit for a minute then push a kiss into the top of each cookie and put cookies on cooling rack.

I found that the dough was not so soft as you could really roll the balls, you sort of had to form them, but it worked.  And my cookies cracked, so maybe I over baked them a few seconds.  I don't know, all I know is they were awesome.

So I was so excited when Hubby and Pork Chop actually wanted to try them.  But that was short lived, Hubby took the chocolate out and just ate the cookie.  But then Pork Chop was just trying to get a chocolate out of his, so I gave him the left over kisses and he was thrilled.  I may have sighed really loudly, and I may have just cursed them a little.  But only maybe, and only a little.

Kiss Cookies, chocolate
based on recipe from Hershey's website

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 TSP vanilla bean paste
2 cups all purpose flour
4 TBSPs cocoa powder
1 TSP baking powder
1/4 TSP salt

Follow the same directions as for the vanilla cookies

I found that I the chocolates would not harden back up while sitting out, our house can get warm when I bake, so I put the cookies in the fridge to get them to set up and they were a hit.  I was due for a hit, it has been a while you know.



These were my favorite, I love chocolate. And well, I want to make them again, they were that good.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I love these cookies!!! I'd eat them all for sure! An cracked ones are good. That just means you have to eat those =o)

BTW - I actually have a worldwide giveaway going on right now for a personalized letter for Santa. About time, right? =o)

Paula said...

These are such a holiday favourite. You are sweet to bake so much for your co-workers, your husband's and the elevator guys :)

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Oh man, I hear you! Sometimes I love them dipped in sugar, but that's a lot of work, lol. These are so pretty!