Monday, November 12, 2012

Christmas Coal, Peppermint Patty's in Disguise

These are the pretty ones, the coal, well it looks like coal.

  So I have not been in the baking mood, just not into it for some reason.  I mean I really want to and I have all these great plans, but then I sit down and I want to stay on my butt for the rest of the day.  It's how I roll. I need to be constantly doing something or else I sit and it is not easy to get me moving again.  Ask Hubby, he is all over it now, but in the first few years he was probably plotting to kill me.  Anyway I actually did something baking like on Saturday and it totally didn't turn out how I wanted.  Which is total proof to me that if I sit down, I should stay that way.

  It's just safer for everyone this way.

This is just a big bowl of peppermint patty innards, is that kind of gross to say?  Well it is, also it is reddish, I didn't want to use too much food colouring, just pretend it's red.


  But I tried and I failed, but I totally got something else out of it, so I actually won.  I knew I was a winner!!!

  So Saturday after work we took Pork Chop to see Wreck It Ralph, and it was adorable, I really enjoyed it and he was all over the video game aspect of it.  So when we got home he wanted to play with his toys and I figured I better do something before I sat down again, and so I did.  I wanted to make peppermint patties in a holiday style.  What that really means I have no idea, I just knew they had to be festive.

This cute little pan I had to have, I think I have used it once, so it's paid for itself really.

Peppermint Patties
Based on something I read on I am Baker

-2 small cans of sweetened condensed milk
-3 TBSP peppermint extract
-red food colouring paste
-icing sugar, as much as you want

Basically mix everything but the icing sugar together, then add the icing sugar until it is as thick as you like.  If you like a runny mint ( you can pour them into chocolate coated molds) then add less sugar.  I like them very dense so I add it until my poor mixer is about to burn out, and then I am good.  Then you shape them and freeze them and dip them in whatever kind of chocolate you like.  I also like to keep mine frozen, they taste better to me that way.

This is an ice cube tray.  Story about this, I made hubby drive me around for like 4 hours one night to find the perfect ice cube tray to make ice for my ice coffee.  Guess how many times I actually used it.  Well if you guessed 3 times, you would be a winner.  Hubby may have tried to hurt me, but I would not know, he does that when I am sleeping.

  So I got to mixing up my patty filling, adding just enough red food paste to make it sort of red and then I got to work.  I had two silicon pans I planned to use.  My gingerbread one and a snowflake one.  I will tell you right now, if you have not figured it out from the title, this didn't work.  I spent all this time smooshing my filling into the pans and then I froze them and I waited a little longer to make sure they set.  I did some normal puddles of peppermint and dipped those first.  I put some festive sprinkles on them, because nothing screams holidays like snowflake sprinkles.

  Then I got out the snow flakes and tried to pop out the shapes.  And they cracked and part of them stayed in the mold and I was all.  "Seriously!  I got off the sofa for this!"  So I just mushed the stuff together into lumpy ball shapes.  Then I dipped them.  I figured my gingerbread men would be better as they had frozen longer.

So far so good right?
 I may have been wrong.  I spend a huge amount of time prying filling out of the pans and smooshing them all together.  I dipped everything in melted milk chocolate that I had really thinned down.  And when I was done, I stood back and said to myself "self, you suck!"
They remind me of the cream cheese wedding mints like this, I should have figured out that these would fair.


  Then I started to clean up a bit.  And did you know that peppermint patty filling is like super glue?  Well neither did I, but I did spend a good half hour trying to get it out of my pans.  I finally gave up and left one for hubby to deal with.  Then I went back and looked at my lumps of peppermint patty and then I said "self you are the smartest person ever!!!"

If you look closely you may notice the one on the bottom sort of has a snow flake shape, sort of.

 Why you ask?  Well I had invented peppermint patty coal.  See right there, that is why I get of the sofa every  now and then.  I screw something up so badly it turns out to be the best thing ever.

  And then I packed a bunch of the ones with the sprinkles up for my co workers, but I kept all the coal for myself.  I am so bad, I deserve it.

I should have stopped, but you know I was on a roll.

  But how great is that?!  Imagine if you will, getting a little baggy or box of these, being told basically that you were such a horrible person that all you get is coal from Santa, but then you eat one and it's awesome.

  I know, sometimes I don't know how I contain all my awesome.

I was just pissed off at this point so this is the best picture of the coal you are going to get, sorry.

 Or my modesty, really how Hubby can handle it is beyond me.  And after the last few weeks, I totally deserve an awesome mistake for once.


These are the nice ones my coworkers got, I could eat these all day, if they didn't make my tummy turn into knots that is.

  Just don't expect this level of awesome again okay?  That will save us all a lot of disappointment in the end. Skip To My Lou
KitchenFun
Our Delightful Home
It's Overflowing
Home Stories A2Z
Love Bakes  Good Cakes
Lil\'Luna
The DIY Dreamer

Back For Seconds Social

9 comments:

Connie Mercer said...

girl you get me to laughing ~love your creations, wanna be neighbors? :):)

Unknown said...

Lol, so funny! Don't feel bad, I go through periods where I am so sick of cooking too.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

These are great! I am so sick of having baking fails. Grrrr. I'm with you, let's just eat these and ignore our ovens for awhile. :)

Baking Ribbons said...

You made lemonade out of lemons!!! Good for you!!! I love chocolate and mint. It doesn't love me as much :( Thanks for visiting my dusty blog!!! I'm off to read more of your posts...

Susan said...

These look wonderful - and the story behind them is fantastic! I'd love for you to share this at Tuesday's Table for the Holidays - http://zentmrs.blogspot.com/2012/11/tuesdays-table-time-for-holidays.html

HungryLittleGirl said...

They look so lovely!
I would love to have you share this, and/or any other recipe of your at Wednesday Extravaganza - my Foodie Link Party with the chance to get a lifetime feature on my Wall of Fame. Here is the link:
http://www.hungrylittlegirl.com/1/post/2012/11/wednesday-extravaganza-4.html

Can't wait to see you there!

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea. I hope you will share these at my cookie exchange: http://www.tumbleweedcontessa.com/blog/2012-cookie-exchange-cookies-and-memories/

Christine said...

I WANT SOME!!! YUMMY!!!

Thanks for sharing at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!!

Love Bakes Good Cakes said...

One of my favorite Christmas flavors is peppermint! Thanks for sharing at All my Bloggy Friends. I'm looking forward to seeing what you share this week! :)