Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Cupcakes for Pork Chop's Hockey Team With Edible Image Cupcake Toppers


Go Hawks!

Before I get started I am also guest posting today at Whisked Together!

 Oh man has it been busy around here lately!  I have been working and trying to do some charity stuff, bake, talk to hubby and try to not kill Pork Chop.  It has been crazy.  I will update you with some of the fun, we were in a parade and I made some fun treats and I have gotten a few things done for my steam punk outfit, so all in all, lots to talk about.

  So this weekend that just past Pork Chop had his hockey banquet, which is not as fancy as you would think.  When I heard about it I figured I better make something, as I send stuff to the team for no reason at all, and now there was a reason.  I also had no time, I mean I was so not going to make fancy stuff, so cupcakes it was!

  Firstly, just so you know, I made box mix cupcakes.  I am not ashamed, when you are not a morning person, even though you start work at 7am every day, you do what you have to.  So I made a box mix of chocolate cupcakes, and then homemade butter cream and some fancy edible image toppers.

  So, I won't explain the cupcakes,  basically I cracked some eggs, mixed some stuff and baked it. All good.  Although, I was not prepared and I only had Halloween cupcake liners, they still looked good.


This is one full sheet of icing, unlike my child I don't eat the left over bits.
  So to make my cupcake topper I got Hubby to print out a bunch of the team logos, I found them on google of course.  Then I scanned them and printed them out on my edible printer.  I did two pages and that was plenty.
This is the super cool fondant cutter I got from Wilton.  I got it at Michael s just before Christmas, we were there looking for craft gifts for Pork Chop.  We didn't find anything so I had to use my coupon, you cannot waste those.
  I am sure you could just put the images on the cupcakes but that might not be as easy as this.  I made the toppers a few days before so they would dry out.  I took pre made fondant and mixed some gum paste into it.   It makes for a harder product when dry.  So I used my new Wilton fondant cutter, it looks just like a paper cutter, just cooler.  I cut the pictures out into strips then rolled out some fondant onto the plastic plate.  Then I brushed some water onto the fondant and smoothed on a strip of logos.
I found it nice to roll out the fondant on the cutting plate, it is removable. 
  Once they were on I used the cutter to cut them all out, and then put them on a lined cookie sheet to fully dry out.  I then rolled the fondant back up and rolled it back out and did it over again until all the logos were done.  I left them to dry for a few days.
They just need to dry for a day or so on a flat surface.
  When I give out cupcakes I like to use boxes, but they can get costly.  As it is I pay for them at the warehouse and it comes out to about 74 cents each with the insert, so I don't do this often.  Anyway, I always fold them and put them all together first, it doesn't take too long.  But if you do it as you are putting the cupcakes in you can get icing on them and you know make them messy.
All my pre folded boxes, those are the inserts on the bottom right.
For the icing I just made a simple butter cream.

Butter Cream
I just usually toss stuff in a bowl:

-1 cup butter
-2 TBSP vanilla *
-milk and icing sugar as needed

Cream the butter and add the vanilla, then add some milk.  Add some icing sugar and alternate between the two until you get it as thick and as much as you need.

*when I make butter cream that is going to be all white I use vanilla bean paste, it looks cool
My swirly cupcakes.
  I tinted the icing yellow and put a nice swirl on with a large fluted tip.  I like lots of icing.  Icing makes everything better.
Just press the topper into the icing.
And then all I did was put the logo topper on, it sticks right to the icing.
And you have a fleet of cupcakes to wow the 7 year old hockey players in your life.
I had Pork Chop put them out at the table for his friends, but he got so excited he flipped one.  So I got mad and told him to stop if he could not be careful.  Then I felt bad, because it's just a cupcake.  So he put the rest out, and he actually took one home.  He never does that.  Although he has not looked at it since, at least it's there.



a to zebra
The DIY Dreamer


Lil\'Luna HookingupwithHoH I'm Lovin' It at TidyMom

10 comments:

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

You gotta love a customized baked good, especially when it's a cupcake with a lot of frosting. :) Looks like you had a lot of fun with your new trimmer.

Murphy's Law said...

wow! that's a lot of work for not being a morning person. I know they were duly appreciated and it was so thoughtful of you.

Erin said...

Back up! Edible printer??? What the heck is that? And how do I get one because I seriously want one!!! It prints on edible paper?

Connie Mercer said...

I now want a cupcake!!! they look so cute and the kids will love them:):)

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Those are great. I want an edible printer!

Izzy Anderson said...

Wow. These are amazing. And I love that you used a box mix. That part of your post made me smile. :)

Catalina @ Cake with Love said...

So cute, I like the bright yellow color!!

Unknown said...

Edible printer? I had no idea they made those! Cool. Yes - I am in Milton - I live and work here. Hubby teaches in Oakville and in fact, our daycare provider used to be in Meadowvale!

Bronwyn @ Queen B Creative Me.

sally @ sallys baking addiction said...

what a neat idea! i love how versatile cupcakes can be - they are like a blank canvas for decorating masterpieces :)

Michelle Day said...

Hi,

I followed you over from Crazy Sweet Tuesday Link Party and these cupcakes are great! I LOVE the fact that you have an edible printer and would love to get the info on that beauty. I can just picture all the printing I would be doing :)

I would love to invite you to share this, and any other posts you would like to, at my Creative Thursday Link Party at www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com. (Link up until Monday 4-23-12)

Have a great day,
Michelle