Thursday, July 19, 2012

Steam Punk Outfit, Part 3, All Done

I hate having my picture taken.  And this is why, I look stupid.


  Okay, so  it's done.  Well as done as it's going to be.  I mean, I cannot do any more to it.  I am not thrilled with everything, but until I actually get a free month this is how it's going to be. And I cannot believe I am putting this on the web, because that means it's going to be there forever.  When I am 75 I am going to be all "look hardly any wrinkles."  So I am doing this for the future me.  

  Your welcome future me.

  And if you have not read my first two posts, go take a look here and here.  I can wait.

  So here is what I did , and some pictures for you all to see.  Then some more of me in it all.  It was super hot and I got dressed and ran to the back yard and got Hubby to take some pictures.  But I was all "I don't want anyone to see me."  Then my jack ass of a Hubby told me the neighbor totally saw me.  I wanted to smack him, but it was too hot. So I pouted and that is why I look so bad.  

  Well at least that is my story, and I'm sticking to it.

  So anyway here is what I did, and what not.

  So my parasol, I love it!


This is how it looks all closed up.

And this is how it started out.

And this it the tea, I made like 10 bags in like 1 cup of hot water.

I am so happy with how this turned out.  And try to ignore Hubby's foot, I was out of my outfit when I remembered I forgot to get a picture.

These are the sponges I used to make the circles.  I just used metallic paint and these .

 I so wanted a parasol after seeing these on clockwork couture.  I found a white wedding parasol on a craigslist type site for $10.  It was very white, but I figured I could fix that.  It was a sort of waxy paper.  So I thought the best and cheapest way to do it would to be tea staining.  Now I have never done this before, ever.  I just read about these things then pretend I know what I am doing.  So I brewed a few tea bags and then tried to paint the parasol.  The first batch was too weak, so I brewed about 10 tea bags in about 1 cup of water and let it really set.  Then once it was done I used a small foam paint brush to paint the whole thing. I would paint it then let it dry for about 15 minutes then go do another layer.  I think I ended up doing 5 layers in total, until I felt it was aged looking enough. 

  Then I wanted to do some black swirls but my plan to use an ink pad didn't work so I used these Martha Stewart sponges and some metallic paint.  I just sort of put them on and I love how it turned out.  I don't think I will bring it to the expo, I want my hands free for shopping you know.

   Then I finished my under dress, I wanted a shirt, but a shirt that would not ride up.  So I made this. It is actually from a pattern for an Alice in Wonderland costume, I just did it in plain white.  It is very super thin fabric and it's great.  At first I hated it, because it was so thin, but it will be perfect.


So this is it, see how see through that is?  If I was hot I wouldn't care, but you have seen me.  No one wants to see that in a see through outfit.

You cannot see but there are the cutest buttons, and I have a tie that I made and wore for my pitcures.

So here it is with my skirts and belt.  I am torn about the belt.


  So I liked how it looked but really didn't love the belt any more, I mean it looks good, but I am rolly and polly and wanted more shape.  So I found a site on line that sells nothing but corsets, and they were cheap.  I may have actually found some for $30 in a store and decided I didn't like how they looked once I got them home.  But after shipping it was just $30 for this black one.  And it said it was steel boned, but it isn't so I can breath and it gives me a little shape.  Not much, but you know better than nothing.



And all together, that belt does make it look nice and slim, I will not be so lucky when  and if I wear it.


This is me wearing the jacket and purse.

So here is the corset I got, I like how it gives me a bit of  a shape.  And I hate pictures of me, sigh.

And you can see my goggles, nothing great, I just spray painted them and put stuff that looked steam punky on them.  I wanted to make a top hat too, but you know how I feel about actually doing things.

This is how the back looks I think if I had Hubby help me tie it up it would look better, but I am still happy.

I am not 100% about my spats, but I think they look okay.

And my watch and my simple ring.
  So that is all for me, I am sort of worried about wearing it, as Hubby has no idea what he wants to be and I think we have like 5 weeks until we are going.  Sigh, watch me not even wear it.  I will kill him.

  And I am almost done my vacation so I am writing this sitting in bed while trying to stay awake.  I think I need to work, it keeps me focused.  And yes I cannot believe I said that either.


I am linking up Here and Here



The DIY Dreamer



seven thirty three
HookingupwithHoH

13 comments:

Maggie Lamarre said...

I think it looks amazing and I don't think you look stupid at all.
Did you use a patter for the dress?

I would luv for you to share this washi tutorial with our readers at the address.
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2012/07/fashion-trend-for-under-500-with.html
Thanks
Maggie
http://passionatelyartistic.com

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I can't believe you made that! It's so great! Now, when Jordan is in the fourth grade, I know who to call for the "pioneer day" field trip when we both have to dress like Laura Ingalls. :)

marianne said...

This is awesome looking! Great job with imagining it and then making it happen!

Tam said...

You did awesome!

Pamela said...

So so so so SO cool!!!! You rock!!!! :)

ellen s. said...

how COOL! love the umbrella, too!

Connie Mercer said...

are you kidding~you {the dress} look fabulous. You are so talented girl!!!!

Unknown said...

HA! Fabulous! I think it all turned out great!

Jan said...

You did such an amazing job! No, you don't look stupid, and yes, I have my picture being taken too. But I am glad you did, you did a great job!
Jan

Christine said...

This is IMPRESSIVE!!! What a GREAT steam punk outfit!!!!

Hope you had a great vacation!!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

Paula said...

Your outfit is amazing and your parasol is fabulous. You should be very proud of the wonderful job you did on this.

Cheerios and Lattes said...

Thank you for posting on Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you'll be back this week with more.
-Mackenzie
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

Anonymous said...

I love everything about this! Saw you on Epbot, and now I totally need to keep following.